Add light-reactive sensing to your theyarable Flora project with this high precision Lux sensor. The TSL2561 luminosity sensor is an advanced digital light sensor, ideal for use in a wide range of light situations. Compared to low cost CdS cells, this sensor is more precise, allowing for exact lux calculations and can be configured for different gain/timing ranges to detect light ranges from up to 0.1 - 40,000+ Lux on the fly. The best part of this sensor is that it contains both infrared and full spectrum diodes! That means you can separately measure infrared, full-spectrum or human-visible light. Most sensors can only detect one or the other, which does not accurately represent what human eyes see (since they cannot perceive the IR light that is detected by most photo diodes)
The sensor has a digital (I2C) interface. Attaching it to the flora is simple: line up the sensor so its adjacent to the SDA/SCL pins and sew conductive thread from the 3V, SDA, SCL and GND pins. They line up perfectly so you will not have any crossed lines. You can only connect one lux sensor to your Flora, but you can connect other I2C sensors/outputs by using the set of SCL/SDA pins on the opposite side. The current draw is extremely low, about 0.5mA when actively sensing, and less than 15 uA when in powerdown mode.
Check Adafruit's Adafruit's Flora Lux Sensor tutorial, the conventional TSL2561 tutorial, and you can use Adafruit's Arduino library-- the example and library code will work 'out of the box' with Flora.
Flora Lux Sensor - TSL2561 Light Sensor (16:50)
- 0.55"/14mm diameter, 0.07"/1.8mm thick
- Approximates Human eye Response
- Precisely Measures Illuminance in Diverse Lighting Conditions
- Temperature range: -30 to 80 *C
- Dynamic range (Lux): 0.1 to 40,000 Lux
- Voltage range: 2.7-3.6V
- This board/chip uses I2C 7-bit addresses 0x39, 0x29, 0x49, selectable with jumpers.
- Flora Lux Sensor tutorial
- TSL2561 tutorial
- Datasheets, EagleCAD PCB files, and Fritzing object available in the product tutorial
- TSL2561 Datasheet
- TSL2561 Driver v2.0 (Unified Sensor Driver)
- TSL2561 Driver v1.0 on github (obsolete!)
- Fritzing objects in the Adafruit Fritzing library
- EagleCAD PCB files for the Flora version
- Datalogging Hat with FLORA BLE
- FLORA Sensors
- Flora TSL2561 Lux Sensor
- TSL2561 Luminosity Sensor