The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B is the latest version of the Raspberry Pi, a tiny credit card size computer. Just add a keyboard, mouse, display, power supply, micro SD card with installed Linux Distribution and you'll have a fully fledged computer that can run applications from word processors and spreadsheets to games.
As the Raspberry Pi 2 supports HD video, you can even create a media centre with it. The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B is the first Raspberry Pi to be open-source from the get-go, expect it to be the defacto embedded linux board in all the forums.
What's the same:
- Same form factor as the model B+ (your enclosures and daughter boards should still fit).
- Same full size HDMI port
- Same 10/100 Ethernet port
- Same CSI camera port and DSI display ports
- Same micro USB power supply connection
What has changed:
- A new turbocharged Broadcom BCM2836 900MHz quad-core system-on-chip with performance at least 6x that of the B+.
- 1GB of RAM
- Now runs Windows 10 IoT Edition (free)!
- Broadcom BCM2836 ARMv7 Quad Core Processor powered Single Board
- Computer running at 900MHz
- 1GB RAM
- 40pin extended GPIO
- 4 x USB ports
- 4 pole Stereo output and Composite video port
- Full size HDMI
- CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
- DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi touch screen display
- Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Features:
- 6x Faster - Broadcom BCM2836 ARMv7 Quad Core Processor powered Single
- Board Computer running at 900MHz
- Double Memory - 1GB RAM so you can now run bigger and more powerful applications
- Identical board layout and footprint as the Model B+, so all cases and 3rd party addon
- boards designed for the Model B+ will be fully compatible.
- Fully HAT compatible
- 40pin extended GPIO to enhance your “real world” projects. GPIO is 100%
- compatible with the Model B+ and A+ boards. First 26 pins are identical to the
- Model A and Model B boards to provide full backward compatibility across all boards.
- Connect a Raspberry Pi camera and touch screen display (each sold separately)
- Stream and watch Hi-definition video output at 1080P
- Micro SD slot for storing information and loading your operating systems.
- Advanced power management:
- You can now provide up to 1.2 Amp to the USB ports – enabling you to connect more power hungry USB devices directly to the Raspberry PI. (This feature requires a 2Amp micro USB Power Supply)
- 10/100 Ethernet Port to quickly connect the Raspberry Pi to the Internet
- Combined 4-pole jack for connecting your stereo audio out and composite video out
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Unboxing Video: