NOTE: Previous versions of Raspberry Pi 2 Model B use the BCM2836 SoC, which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor. The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B v1.2 board uses BCM2837, which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor. It is necessary to update to the latest (October 2016) version of the device firmware and Linux kernel to allow the board to boot up properly.
The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B is a second generation Raspberry Pi, a tiny credit card size computer. Just add a keyboard, mouse, display, power supply, micro SD card with installed Linux Distribution and you'll have a fully fledged computer that can run applications from word processors and spreadsheets to games.
As the Raspberry Pi 2 supports HD video, you can even create a media centre with it. The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B is the first Raspberry Pi to be open-source from the get-go, expect it to be the defacto embedded linux board in all the forums.
What's the same:
- Same form factor as the model B+ (your enclosures and daughter boards should still fit).
- Same full size HDMI port
- Same 10/100 Ethernet port
- Same CSI camera port and DSI display ports
- Same micro USB power supply connection
What has changed:
- A new turbocharged Broadcom BCM2837 900MHz quad-core system-on-chip with performance at least 6x that of the B+.
- 1GB of RAM
- Now runs Windows 10 IoT Edition (free)!
- Broadcom BCM2837 ARMv7 Quad Core Processor powered Single Board
- Computer running at 900MHz
- 1GB RAM
- 40pin extended GPIO
- 4 x USB ports
- 4 pole Stereo output and Composite video port
- Full size HDMI
- CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
- DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi touch screen display
- Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Features:
- 6x Faster - Broadcom BCM2837 ARMv7 Quad Core Processor powered Single
- Board Computer running at 900MHz
- Double Memory - 1GB RAM so you can now run bigger and more powerful applications
- Identical board layout and footprint as the Model B+, so all cases and 3rd party addon
- boards designed for the Model B+ will be fully compatible.
- Fully HAT compatible
- 40pin extended GPIO to enhance your “real world” projects. GPIO is 100%
- compatible with the Model B+ and A+ boards. First 26 pins are identical to the
- Model A and Model B boards to provide full backward compatibility across all boards.
- Connect a Raspberry Pi camera and touch screen display (each sold separately)
- Stream and watch Hi-definition video output at 1080P
- Micro SD slot for storing information and loading your operating systems.
- Advanced power management:
- You can now provide up to 1.2 Amp to the USB ports – enabling you to connect more power hungry USB devices directly to the Raspberry PI. (This feature requires a 2Amp micro USB Power Supply)
- 10/100 Ethernet Port to quickly connect the Raspberry Pi to the Internet
- Combined 4-pole jack for connecting your stereo audio out and composite video out
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Unboxing Video: