BlinkyTape is a very special LED strip. It has what we like to call an integrated light processor-- that means you don’t have to source your own microcontroller, power supply or connectors. Instead, you simply need to plug in a standard USB battery pack or wall charger, and you’re good to blink.
BlinkyTape has 60 independently controllable full-color RGB LEDs, all wrapped up in a weather-resistant silicone case. All this is powered by that integrated light processor which has a standard micro-USB connector. This means you can connect it to a battery or power supply to run on its own, or it can talk to a computer for interactive installations.
When you first plug in your BlinkyTape, you’ll be greeted by a colorful rainbow pattern. But the fun doesn’t stop there: the BlinkyTape comes with a full set of companion software to make it easy for you to make the patterns and effects you want. You can graphically draw pattens and animations the LED strip using PatternPaint. If dynamic lighting is more your style, check out our Processing tutorial -- it has a range of examples that allow you to create an LED light soundtrack to your favorite tunes, a backlight for your monitor, and more!
And best of all, we’re excited to see the amazing uses that members of our community create. BlinkyTape is going to keep getting better because of people like you!
- 60 independently controllable RGB LEDs (WS2812B)
- Atmega 32u4 processor, compatible with Arduino
- Animation storage space: 22K, enough for 300 frames (compressed)
- Housed in waterproof silicon tubing (IP67)
- 1 m (39.3”) long, 12.5mm (0.5") wide, 4mm (0.16") thick
- LEDs spaced 33mm (1.3") apart
- USB powered, 5V @ 300mA for a sample pattern (current draw varies with program)
- Open source hardware and software.
For more info and to get started with your BlinkyTape visit the start page. To join in the online discussion about BlinkyTape, visit the BlinkyTape forum.
If you encounter any problems when using this product, here is the contact from which you can get the technical support.